Processing is a free, beginner-friendly programming language designed to help non-programmers create interactive art with code. In Processing, you can make a masterpiece with just a simple program, and at the click of a button, the software displays your handiwork on-screen for instant feedback.
The SparkFun Guide to Processing teaches you to craft your own digital artwork and even combine it with hardwareâ€”no prior programming experience required. Over the course of the book, youâ€™ll learn the basics by drawing simple shapes, move on to photo editing and video manipulation, and ultimately affect the physical world by using Processing with an Arduino.
Work through an array of projects that increase steadily in complexity to:
* Make detailed pixel art and scale it to epic proportions
* Write a maze game and build a MaKey MaKey controller with fruit buttons
* Play, record, and sample audio to create your own soundboard
* Fetch weather data from the Web and build a custom weather dashboard
* Create visualizations that change based on sound, light, and temperature readings
Art and programming arenâ€™t mutually exclusive, and with Processing as your digital paint brush, youâ€™ll code your own gallery in no time.
Derek is our Department of Educationâ€™s Educational Technologist, responsible for creating outstanding curriculum and materials for electronics education. Before joining us at SparkFun, Derek taught middle school technology courses that were centered on Processing and Arduino.
**Note:** This book is Processing 3.0 compatible.
* Author: Derek Runberg
* Publisher: No Starch Press
* Paperback: 232 pages
* ISBN-10: 1593276125
* ISBN-13: 978-1593276126